Tuesday, December 6, 2011

The Trek to Mangum

There are many small towns all over the place.  Easy to forget this when you live in a big city for so long.  I like to take the two lane route. So much more to see.


3 windows, 2doors, couple pallets of cinder block.



I have this fascination with single trees hanging out in fields. Once in a while the camera gets close to how I see them.

Stopped by Kansas City for a couple of hours - farmer's market & an amazing antique store.

Spice Bins wide open air. Anything you can think of!

Ice cream mold almost became a glass blowing mold.....

The security guard asked me what these were!?!? 


Four Floors of crazy goodness.

These were amazing - found some without the metal rack for next to nothing. Thinking about making a mold off of one of these & having a little fun....

This reminded me of Hank Adam's Work.

I tend to find quite a bit of inspiration rummaging through antique stores.  They are like museums in a way, but you get pick the stuff up & really get to figure it out.  They are no longer in context, and things can become something else entirely.

Spent the night in Tulsa, OK. Tulsa Glass Blowing Studio is there.  I have never been to Tulsa, only through it, and I must say I was happy to find such a vibrant art scene. The Studio was very welcoming, had a great vibe. They do a lot of work with local youth services groups, and really reach out in a powerful way to their community.  One of those things about glass blowing - it commands respect from even the toughest teenagers!
Spent some time talking with Janet & Rachel. I will definitely be back - it is one of those places that I feel I need to spend some time to get to know.
    
     Onward to Mangum to visit Dad & Marie. Thanksgiving in the hometown for the first time since '87.  Long overdue.




No comments:

Post a Comment