Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Regarding Balance

    Balance is one of those things I have been working on all my life.  It can be quite elusive.  I am not sure if I have ever had this figured out, actually.  Sometimes, I wish there was another one of me - an opposing brained me that could take care of all those things that don't seem to come naturally.  Balance in every aspect of life, takes constant attention. There are many facets to this life.  There is the manic creative that delights in pure expression, this being the most powerful force, the one that drives the bus.  Then there is the part that has to figure out how to fill the gas tank of said bus....
    The variety of activity need to keep going can be a little overwhelming at times.  I seem to go in waves. I get caught up in driving the bus, then, crap, the bus is out of fuel.  And so on and so forth.
    Things have been quite interesting for the past month. I feel like I have been progressing in a very positive way in the glass studio.  Furnace dipping boro is quite a different feel than what I am accustomed to.  I have been adapting my soft glass techniques, blowing into molds making a limited series of small vase-pipes - Morris has kept some amazing colors swrling around in the furnace for me, so I have been producing as much as I possibly can while the furnace is hot.  I have been getting some very positive feedback regarding the work - that is always very encouraging.  The creative juices are in full swing, there aren't enough hours in the day!

     All this being said, life doesn't stop either.  Just as I started to make plans for the Spring & Summer Tours, some pretty heavy family matters have come up.  Enter the unexpected balancing act!
   

1 comment:

  1. Phil: I have enjoyed your writing on balance, it is tricky, especially for artist who cannot generate enough income to support basic needs.
    So there must be a sacrifice of some sort. The one thing that is important is to keep the bus running and not running out of fuel. Easier said then done, keep up the good work. tom

    ReplyDelete