Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Getting Ready for the Big Adventure

It is getting very close to the time that I would like to take off.  Things always take more time than you think they will.  Not to mention that during the process of going through everything I own, I keep coming across these great objects that want to become finished sculpture. "Just a couple more hours and this one will be finished" could turn out to be aborted plans for the Adventure, if I am not careful!  The beauty of this is that I am not laboring of minute design decisions for very long - I simply do not have enough time. 3-D sketching.

Then there is all that stuff from former lives that has been in a box because you jut don't want to face it.  Begin the burn pile.  Letting go. After all, I only have about 100 cubic feet to put everything into.  Most of that is going to be glassblowing molds, sculpting tools & the things I will need to live on the road (or more accurately, the things I THINK I am going to need to live on the road).

All THAT aside, I have been up to some really fun stuff.  The Made In China Studio product line & push has been invigorating - seeing things materialize & make the transition from idea to reality feels great.  The technology end of things has a little catching up to do, but I will get there very shortly.

East Falls Glassworks hosted my first Mold making and Blowing Workshop two weeks ago.  We spent two days creating glassblowing molds from all kinds of materials. There were four students, and five different kinds of molds.  One piece Graphite, Wet clay (which none of us actually ever tried before), all Steel, a wood, steel, and graphite, and Ice. Yes, Ice.  If you have never blown glass into Ice before, I highly recommend it.

I will get rest of the pics and video on here in as soon as I figure that part out.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment