Thursday, December 22, 2011

Fork In The Road

Arrived in Pagosa Springs just about dusk.  It had been quite a day travelling into new territory. Thursday. I had originally wanted to travel into Utah, but a couple of things were nagging at me. It was getting late. I still had a long way to go. Not to mention a giant storm was heading south from the the North West. I decided to chill out and do a little R&R, see what the morning brings.  Sometimes a decision warrants a coin toss. Other times, a little thought.  Next day my options seemed very defined. Instead of travelling into the snowstorm, I drove East through Wolf's Creek Pass to the Eastern side of the Rockies. Perhaps they would shield me from the storm.



    Notice the lack of guard rails. Intense. Exciting. I made it.  As I had hoped, It was clear on the other side, and really beautiful. I had been to the Rockies at some point in my childhood - I have very vague memories of  getting into a snowball fight with my sister on top of a mountain in the summertime!  Long wide plain between mountain ranges. Big skies, dramatic light this was sunset:


Right about now, I took a call from an old high school friend Scott, who I would be staying with in Denver.
 Bee-line!
Made it there early enough to catch up that evening.  

     I spent a few days in Denver, catching up & helping out. Such a cool city.  While I was there, I took the opportunity to blow some glass (I actually had a few orders!)  There is a terrific glass studio in Lakewood called C&H Glassworks. I had spoken with these guys when I was planning the trip, I was really looking forward to meeting face to face. Turns out, as with most of the glass world, we have quite a few mutual acquaintances. That is one thing about the glass world - it can be a really small one!  Corey & Horace are really cool cats, they have a terrific shop & make some very beautiful work. I very much enjoyed working there.
    I stuck around Denver for a few days, it felt good to sit still for a few & to get back in touch with a couple of old friends (there is another of my good high school buddies there - Jess).  We all got together and went to see the Christmas light display at the Botanical gardens. they had these nifty glasses that turned all the lights into snowflakes or stars! what a trip! I managed to take a couple of photos through the snowflake lens.
    Spent a day walking around town too. Beautiful city.  Here's a little album I put together. Click!

SO

    There was another thing about this visit. There was a point at which I almost walked away from everything. I had a one way ticket out of the country IN HAND.  I was going to leave in four days.  In my mind I let go of all my belongings except for the computer, phone, and a backpack of clothing.  It was strangely freeing.  I was freaked out but calm at the same time. I spent a couple of days trying this on. Thinking very hard about where I was, my circumstances and what I am doing.  I will admit I was in shock.  I will also admit that the only thing that prevented me from following through was realizing the burden I could potentially become on others.  It wasn't time yet.  This moment represented a significant change, one that I am still examining. It is all about letting go and moving forward.  Oh yeah, did I forget to mention it was the build up to the full moon/lunar eclipse?


No comments:

Post a Comment