Friday, December 2, 2011

Repacking and the Return to Foci

     Back to practical matters. Eoin's garage was full of my crap, and I needed to get the truck organised and move on. FOCI's media coordinator Marlo Cronquist had contacted me over the weekend regarding a video interview. We had arranged to meet up at the studio on Wednesday morning.
I took the day on Tuesday to spruce up the Falcon. Painted the windows of the cap, built wrap around shelving, organized all my belongings. Took all day, but I finally got there. Took off a little after 5 pm, headed into Minneapolis to see what was what.
     I found myself in the Northeast in the Arts District. The Northeast in Minneapolis is nothing like the Northeast in Philadelphia. I had a little map of the area which showed off the places to see & be. Very handy. Decided to check out a place called 331 Club. Fantastic Tacos, great local beer, “Blingo”, and free live music. 




There was a band in residence on Tuesday nights. The opening act I could get into, the main act, not so much. But the vibe in the place was right on. After this I really needed some diner food, some how found myself in St. Paul (the quieter of the Twin Cities) at Mickey's Diner having the perfect 1AM burger. Found a random parking lot at an apartment complex on Suburban Street and took a nap. Perfect night before filming an interview!

Woke up really early & made my way slowly through the cities back to the Northeast. Dropped in at FOCI where Andrew Thompson was making some beautiful incalmo pieces (mostly by himself). The interview went really well, I was a bit nervous, but Jack was terrific – guiding me through. He actually had the piece ready and on YouTube in just a couple of days.
Packed up & one foot on the stairs to leave, Michael & Sofia stopped me. (paraphrase) “There is a group coming in on Friday for a demonstration. They specifically requested to see some things about mold blowing. What would it take to convince you to stay?”
My response: “Heads I stay, Tails I'm off to Sheboygan”

Toss the quarter into the air....

“Looks like I'm going to need a place to sleep”

Todd Cameron is one of the managers at FOCI and makes some kick-ass work. He was gracious to put me up at a moment's notice and show me around for a couple of days. I helped out on the blowing floor for the afternoon & early evening, out for a few beers & settled in to Todd's place.
The next day I made some work of my own, a few fishnet bubble bottom cups for the Minnesota Glass Girls, a few mold blown ornaments & a piece that I have wanted to make for a couple of years.





Multiple pieces from the same mold, kept them hot & put them all together.
This is a whole series of work that I need to explore. Made a second one a little different for the demonstration the following day (thanks to a conversation with Michael).
Met many great folks, had a great experience and look forward to a return visit in early spring (if not sooner).

No comments:

Post a Comment